Monday, June 28, 2010

Closet: Before and After




We say a sad farewell to Chris, our sculptor in Sliced Bread Studios, and hello to a huge closet now free of boxes. What does one do with a deep closet that has its own light fixture and electrical socket? You turn it into a kitchenette, of course! After an inexplicable communication error between Painter and Printmaker left us with a table wholly unsuited to the space provided, I decided to build a shelf for our fringe and microwave on my own. This was a thoroughly rewarding venture as I took responsibility for the process from beginning to end.
The hurdles worth noting are thus:
I was completely unfamiliar with the new table saw and couldn’t find the manual. Can I stress enough how important it is to have the giant circular bladed mystery machine Unplugged when tugging at random switches on it? No, no I cannot. After cutting most of the boards with an electric handsaw I finally discovered the secrets of lifting the dumb things arm and used it to make the table legs from 2x4s.Also, the hand tools on batteries ran out of juice rather quickly. Lucky for me, Greg has a circular hand saw, a hand jig saw and a table saw, so I managed to jump between them all in the process, giving which ever one needed it the time to charge. Lastly, I have no car. I do, however, have piles and piles of leftover 2x4s, scrap pine and MDF scavenged for the most part from Greg’s various jobs.
Working the math out exactly took more time than anything else, but really, the phase “measure twice, cut once’’ can’t be stressed enough.
In the end, I had designed and built a counter (with a tiny flaw here and there) that left me feeling like Conan the Conqueror.

No comments:

Post a Comment