Sunday, May 1, 2011

Polyester plates


Pronto Plates
Want lithography without the giant stone?
Tough.
A lot of people insist that polyester prints are a type of lithography, including one of my favorite teachers from undergrad. It is a cheap, fast method of creating line drawing style images in printed format. Sounds like silk screen doesn’t it?
Here’s a site I found helpful in breaking down the process. untidy revelations
You need A LOT of water for this process, and forsake grey tones. I think pronto plates are best for their original purpose, which was magazine and advertisement. As you can run these plates through a printer as well as draw directly onto it with marker of crayon, I think a funky cook book is in order.
As far as the fine art of the polyester plate, I’m not so sure that is for me.

1 comment:

  1. Embrace youtube with this helpful video. The sound is so-so, but the cutting map tip and the hands on demo will be worth the load time, believe me!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzw9dS1fqY

    if the link doesn’t work, just type in “Z-Acryl Demo “ and you’ll find it. Full disclosure; I have not used Z-Acryl brand before.

    ReplyDelete