Monday, May 18, 2009

A Serious Departure

A Serious Departure
May 18, 2009

It is natural for an artist’s style to change as time goes on, but how does one back track? After graduation I had a lovely emotional roller coaster ride during which I quit my retail job and built my little slice of Sliced Bread Studios into a cozy (as in cluttered) printmakers hidey hole complete with Gustav, my tank-like press. When I started printing again my work was darker, more layered, slightly gritty looking.
Here is the first Doll Head, far left; I call her my Surma Princess Prequel. I followed that with more delicate work, most of which were destroyed in an adhesive Armageddon I don’t like to think about and a few were parceled out to friends and teachers. To the right, Watercut Joy is one of the last from my senior show.
Below are darker, layered works that I’ve made at Sliced Bread Std. in the last five months.

And now I have a bazaar departure that I am not sure what to do with. I call it ‘Abstracted Shyness’ (on the far right). All the while, I’m struggling to return to the light, simple style I used back at Purchase. How do I do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment